Hugh S. Jacobs was the great-grandson of the founder of Presbyerian College, William Plumer Jacobs, and the son of William Plumer Jacobs II, who served as PC's president from 1935-1945. He graduated from Presbyterian College in 1941, and served in the U.S. Infantry during World War II, attaining the rank of major. He served almost three years overseas, and received the Bronze Star for Valor, the Combat Infantry Badge, and the Purple Heart. Following the war, he returned to Clinton and became co-owner and president of Jacobs Press. He was very active in his church and community, and also served on the Board of Trustees of the college. He received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humanities from the college in 1992. He died in 2005.